Applicants from the foreign countries have to compile a full package of documents for their legal stay on the territory of the Russian Federation. 

Step 1

Receive a visa invitation

Fill in the form which you can find on the university website (the information must be complete).

Send the electronic version (in PDF format) of the completed application form and the electronic version (in PDF format) of the passport by e-mail: not later than July, 1st.

Implement the legalisation of education certificates. It should be carried out by applicants themselves before crossing the Russian Federation border.

Wait for an invitation from Surgut State University, which can take up to 30 working days (an invitation is valid for 90 days).

Step 2

Documentation package preparing

While waiting for the university invitation, you should prepare documentation package for applying to embassy (consulate) of Russia. 

Here is the list of necessary documents:



Filled application form

an online application form on the website of Consular Section, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of RF

2 photographs

3,5 x 4,5

copy of an invitation 

Original copy of an invitation from Surgut State University sent to the Russian Federation Consulate and the applicant by mail

Certificate of the HIV-negative status of the applicant

valid for three months

visa fee payment

the details for a visa can be found in the Consulate office

Receive confirmation on the documents’ legalisation and send a digital version of the documents in PDF format to the following e-mail:

Receive an invitation and medical insurance to get a visa.

*For under 18 – Parental Consent to Travel for Children under 18, certified by notary.

**In Russian embassy (consulate) or visa application center in your country you can clarify which documents exactly you need.

Step 3

Applying to Russian embassy (consulate)

With full documentation package (including the invitation) apply to embassy (consulate) of Russia in your country. After passing an interview pay for student visa. The student visa turnaround time is 2-3 weeks.

Step 4

Get the visa

Student visa validity

For the first time student visa is valid for 3 months. For extension you should apply to General Directorate of migration of RF Ministry of Internal Affairs. There you can apply for multi-entry visa for 1 year. During this period, you can stay in Russia or leave and return. Upon the expire you should apply for extension again and thus till the end of your studying.

How to extend a visa

For student visa extension you should apply to university department for work with foreign students before 30-40 days before expiration.

Here is the list of necessary documents:

  • Application form
  • Photograph
  • International passport
  • Contract for study (copy) or assignment for study by Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation
  • Intercession from University in written and free format, indication the reason to extend visa
  • Receipt confirming the payment of State duty
  • Detachable section of the notification form (issued during migration registration)
  • Admission form (original and copy)

State duty for 1-year educational visa is 1 600 roubles (approximately $30). Pay attention that every time after visa extension you should pass migration registration once again.  

ALready have a visa?

Your visa is automatically renewed for 30 days from the day you submitted documents for entrance examinations.

Before your arrival in Russia

Buy tickets with expected transfer time in Moscow – no longer than 24 hours. Send an electronic image of the tickets (PDF) by e-mail: (not later than five days before the flight).


Upon arrival in Russia every foreign citizen should fill admission form and always have it in possession during his or her stay in Russia. In 2 days you should apply for primary migration registration with documentation package.

Migration card

The purpose of migration card is to verify that foreign citizen crossed the Russian border legally. Without a migration card a foreign citizen cannot live, study nor legally work in Russia. You can get a free migration card form onboard your plane, in a train or in passport control zone at the airport or railway station. Admission form is valid during all the time of your staying in Russia. When leaving the country you should leave it at boarder control post. When returning to the country you should fill in a new migration card.

Migration registration

Foreign citizens entering Russia should apply for migration registration. For this purpose, you should check in to the dormitory of Surgut State University on the arrival day and provide your passport and immigration card to the office located at the address: Surgut, Lenin Prospect 1, office № 225 (working hours: Monday - Thursday from 8 a.m. to 17 p.m., lunchtime – from 12 a.m. to 13 p.m.; Friday from 8 a.m. to 12 a.m., Saturday and Sunday – days off). Here is the list of documents you should submit:

  • Passport (or any document of identification)
  • Visa (if available)
  • Admission form
In the University you will get detachable section of the notification form. This is the document of migration registration. It allows you to stay in Russia during the period indicated. Primary – 3 month, further – 1 year.

How to extend migration registration

If you want to extend the duration of stay, apply to the office located at the address: Surgut, Lenin Prospect 1, office № 225 (working hours: Monday - Thursday from 8 a.m. to 17 p.m., lunchtime – from 12 a.m. to 13 p.m.; Friday from 8 a.m. to 12 a.m., Saturday and Sunday – days off).

It can be done before the migration card's expiration period (90 days), but not later than 30 days before its expiration date.